This will be the final Blog post as part of The Magna Carta Translation Application. Today we have finished and handed over the project to the client alongside this we are concluding the assignment in terms of submission of all appropriate material.
We started this project back in March where we was introduced to the design brief and project requirements. Since then we have developed as a group/agencies learning skills that will be vital to progressing into the same client based projects outside the university. Starting with no prior knowledge of applications, how they were developed or the work that needs to go into producing a successful application, delivering the application shows how far we have come.
Completing the application has allowed us to gain swift coding, design, client communication, team working and documentation skill in connection with a client lead project. Throughout the project we have tried to remain transparent by communicating information, issues and requirements to the client as to keep the project as progressive and slic as possible.
The Final Application we feel has been a huge success. We have achieved many things we didn’t expect to from our outset, initially we were sceptical about producing and information based application however this made us focus much more on delivering a professional application for the client.
With clear communication and presentation the the client we proposed and application that they felt fitted a very functional and specific requirement. Initially there was ambitious ideas thrown around by the client that we framed proposing and application that fitted both parties expectations and needs. One main achievement was overcoming a client proposed idea of The Magna Carta image as a form of navigation between clauses with the document. We initially felt this was slightly ambitious as our knowledge of Swift and application programing was very basic but with some support from tutors we managed to formulate an understanding of Swift which then allowed us to create this application.
Some other successes with programming was gaining and understanding of iPad specific application building and Split View Controllers, that allows 2 different types of view controllers to run within a single view. This is something even the tutors were mystified by initially but we managed to negotiate it well creating a useful feature of the application.
Working With Live Brief
Creativity and Professionalism is part of any client based interaction work no matter the product in production or timescape of project. Creativity is need throughout all aspects of the project weather is designs, innovative ideas or pitches/discussion with clients. Creativity not only is the ability to produce ideas Remaining professionally throughout the project even when tricky and potentially problematic situation arose. Client negotiation is one situation where we had to remain professional, taking on board their ideas and feedback working with them to develop a product that they wanted and we could build successfully. Secondly when issues surrounding content and from the cathedral and 3rd party sources it was essential to remain professional and taking control of potentially problematic situations.
As part of a team we have work effectively and efficiently through good communication and organization of the work and timings. Using a social media site we were able to communicate effectively to each other gaining quick responses from all members of the team. Because of it ubiquity meant all members were quickly notified of discussions and organisations of meeting meaning workflow wants hindered or disturbed but miscommunication or un attendance as a point of contact was readily available.
Trello was used in organizing the workflow and delegation of tasks similar to that of a scrum board. all members had access to a live scrum board where they could interact with tasks that needed to be completed within the project. This highlighted if there was any issues or backlog with work as it was regularly checked and assessed by all members of the team.
Google Drive was used to shear and distribute files between members of the group, Being able to upload revisions of files ment there was less confusion and the the project documents were kept in the same place.
A Git repository was used in the development of the application also to track the development of the application, allowing merging between programmers files and back logging where needed. The git repo additionally gives any developer who needs to pick up the application after handover the ability to see how it was made and where specific changes took place. This is a great form of documentation for the client as it gives them a breakdown of how the application was made and the process that went through its development.
Keeping to Guidelines
During the project there was a series to guidelines of which we had to follow and be aware off. Firstly the design guidelines given to us by Salisbury Cathedral and RedBallon that we had to keep to pedantically making sure we always referred to there style guidelines. These outset design guidelines were colour, font and style based and it was necessary to keep to their exhibition they have recently built tieing the application and exhibition together.
Secondly keeping to apple guidelines with programing and styles of elements within the application. Specifically we looked at the design guidelines paying particular attention to sizing, icons and gestures that meant the application fitted smoothly within an apple device using its ubiquitous apple.
Through this live brief we have produced professional application fitting clients requirement learning lots of vital skills along the way. Handing the application over to the client now it will be great to see it working within the desired location helping and informing tourist visiting the Salisbury Cathedral for filling its purpose.